Dr. Thomas Helbing
- Holds a PhD in Telecommunications Law.
- Practiced from 2004 to 2009 as a lawyer at a leading international commercial law firm in the fields of technology, media and telecommunications.
- Consultant to regional and international, medium-sized companies on all matters of data protection, privacy, IT, licensing and online law.
- Founder of internet-startup in 2009 and founded his own law firm.
- Software developer with practical experience in the online/IT business, with a high level of technical understanding.
Thomas is an expert for global privacy programs, policies and compliance systems at international companies. His recent experience includes: conduct of data protection risk assessments, draft and implemenation of privacy policies, binding corporate rules, setting up of global data transfer agreements (EU controller-controller and controller-processor agreements), ensuring notifications to data protection authorities, setting up data protection compliant whistleblowing schemes, planning and conduct of privacy trainings as well as setting up of global privacy networks at multi-national organizations (definition of roles and responsibilities, appointment of data protection officers).
Data Protection and Privacy
- International data transfers.
- Data transfers within corporate groups.
- Employee data protection.
- Online data protection.
- Data processing agreements, data protection in outsourcing.
- Customer data protection, data protection in direct marketing.
- Drafting and revision of privacy policies and consent forms.
- External data protection officer appointment. ("externer Datenschutzbeauftragter")
- Correspondence with data protection authorities.
- Training in data protection and privacy.
- Legal assessment of complex data protection situations, particularly in international contexts.
- International data protection project management.
- Data protection for mergers and acquisitions.
- Software provision agreements.
- License agreements.
- Outsourcing agreements.
- Service level agreements (SLA) / maintenance agreements / service contracts.
- End user license agreements (EULA).
- Software development agreements / project agreements.
- Cloud computing, software as a service (SaaS), application service providing (ASP).
- General terms and conditions (T&C).
- Drafting of terms of service, general terms and conditions, privacy policies.
- E-commerce / distance selling (information requirements, information on right to withdraw, order process).
- Website audits.
- Cooperation agreements, content delivery agreements.
- Website development agreements.
- Hosting agreements.
- Online-advertising law, domain law, copyright law, competition law.
- Defense against cease-and-desist notices.